Residential Performance Company 2023
National Youth Ballet’s Residential Performance Company is back!
NYB is a leading performance company for young ballet dancers aged between nine and eighteen.
After the success of 2022’s re|generation season, NYB is thrilled to return in 2023 with an exciting new two-year model, providing young dancers with the unique opportunity to develop their skills and working relationships with NYB practitioners, ahead of a full scale public performance season in 2024.
2023’s season will be fully residential at Elmhurst Ballet School, and will provide a stimulating and immersive opportunity for dancers, choreographers and rehearsal directors to collaborate, create and develop, culminating in an in-house performance for an invited audience, including friends, families and industry professionals in the Elmhurst Studio Theatre.
The 2023 residency is designed to be a standalone experience, allowing performers to hone and develop their skills. The content we create in 2023 will then be developed as a part of the 2024 season and we therefore encourage dancers who are interested in auditioning for the 2024 performance season to apply.
In 2023, the selected dancers will form a company, participating in a six day residency at Elmhurst Ballet School, culminating in a performance in the Elmhurst Studio Theatre for an invited audience of friends, family and industry professionals. Dancers will have the opportunity to:
- Take part in daily company class with an inspiring range of teachers and choreographers
- Learn some of NYB’s dynamic repertoire, performed in previous seasons and revived for the 2023/24 season
- Participate in an invite-only performance for friends and family and a range of industry professionals
- Develop work with several established choreographers, gaining an insight into a range of creative processes
- Work with up-and-coming choreographers taking part in NYB’s Beyond Ballet® scheme, offering the exciting chance to be part of a young choreographer’s vision at the very beginning of their career
- Take part in our in-house Frank Freeman choreographic competition, which will be judged by special guests from the ballet industry. The competition has previously been adjudicated by artists including David Bintley and Tyrone Singleton
- Take part in NYB’s Moving Minds sessions, in order to support, develop and nurture each young person’s confidence and personal development.
Residential rehearsal period – Elmhurst Ballet School, Sunday 13th August -Saturday 19th August 2023
Course fee: £680
Why Become a Part of NYB?
Our alumni make up 10% of the dancers and choreographers in major British ballet companies including The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, Northern Ballet, Scottish Ballet and Matthew Bourne’s New Adventures, and many more have gone on to work in dance and related industries worldwide. In addition, alumni state that the skills they developed as part of NYB prepared them well for diverse and varied careers beyond the dance profession. Dancers will:
- enjoy an audition that replicates the professional experience
- gain insight into the different stages and processes of putting together a large-scale performance
- understand how it feels to be part of an inclusive ballet company
- build confidence and resilience through NYB Moving Minds workshops
- work with industry professionals to gain new skills in choreography and contemporary dance
- experience the fun of live performance including make-up, costumes, and professional lighting
- become part of the NYB family and make new ballet friends
Photos (c) Sean Purser