Residential Performance Company 2023 – Auditions
National Youth Ballet’s Residential Performance Company is back!
NYB is a leading performance company for young ballet dancers aged between nine and eighteen.
After the success of 2022’s re|generation season, NYB is thrilled to return in 2023 with an exciting new two-year model, providing young dancers with the unique opportunity to develop their skills and working relationships with NYB practitioners, ahead of a full scale public performance season in 2024.
2023’s season will be fully residential at Elmhurst Ballet School, and will provide a stimulating and immersive opportunity for dancers, choreographers and rehearsal directors to collaborate, create and develop, culminating in an in-house performance for an invited audience, including friends, families and industry professionals in the Elmhurst Studio Theatre.
The 2023 residency is designed to be a standalone experience, allowing performers to hone and develop their skills. The content we create in 2023 will then be developed as a part of the 2024 season and we therefore encourage dancers who are interested in auditioning for the 2024 performance season to apply.
In 2023, the selected dancers will form a company, participating in a six day residency at Elmhurst Ballet School, culminating in a performance in the Elmhurst Studio Theatre for an invited audience of friends, family and industry professionals. Dancers will have the opportunity to:
- Take part in daily company class with an inspiring range of teachers and choreographers
- Learn some of NYB’s dynamic repertoire, performed in previous seasons and revived for the 2023/24 season
- Participate in an invite-only performance for friends and family and a range of industry professionals
- Develop work with several established choreographers, gaining an insight into a range of creative processes
- Work with up-and-coming choreographers taking part in NYB’s Beyond Ballet® scheme, offering the exciting chance to be part of a young choreographer’s vision at the very beginning of their career
- Take part in our in-house Frank Freeman choreographic competition, which will be judged by special guests from the ballet industry. The competition has previously been adjudicated by artists including David Bintley and Tyrone Singleton
- Take part in NYB’s Moving Minds sessions, in order to support, develop and nurture each young person’s confidence and personal development.
Why Become a Part of NYB?
Our alumni make up 10% of the dancers and choreographers in major British ballet companies including The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, Northern Ballet, Scottish Ballet and Matthew Bourne’s New Adventures, and many more have gone on to work in dance and related industries worldwide. In addition, alumni state that the skills they developed as part of NYB prepared them well for diverse and varied careers beyond the dance profession. Dancers will:
- enjoy an audition that replicates the professional experience
- gain insight into the different stages and processes of putting together a large-scale performance
- understand how it feels to be part of an inclusive ballet company
- build confidence and resilience through NYB Moving Minds workshops
- work with industry professionals to gain new skills in choreography and contemporary dance
- experience the fun of live performance including make-up, costumes, and professional lighting
- become part of the NYB family and make new ballet friends
Photos (c) Sean Purser
- Rambert School, London, Sunday 29th January 2023
- Northern Ballet, Leeds, Sunday 5th February 2023
- MAC, Midlands Arts Centre, Birmingham, Sunday 12th February 2023
- Sadler’s Wells London, Sunday 26th February 2023
- Online via zoom, Sunday 26th February 2023
NYB is offering an additional audition that will take place via Zoom. This audition will enable students to participate from their homes or local studios and will help us to reach the widest pool of talent. The audition will include the same content as the in-person session.
Please note that the online auditions will have a limited capacity to enable us to view dancers fairly. We do ask those who are able to attend an in-person audition to do so. This online opportunity has been created to allow us to offer chances to those who we have previously been unable to reach.
Residential rehearsal period:
Elmhurst Ballet School, Sunday 13th August -Saturday 19th August 2023
Elmhurst Studio Theatre, Birmingham, Saturday 19th August 2023
What the audition workshop will involve
We understand that auditions can be an intimidating process for young dancers, but they are also a key part of life as a professional dancer! To enhance dancers’ skills, our Moving Minds team will provide a short workshop before the audition to help each participant perform to their full potential. These confidence-building skills will be useful for all future audition experiences. In addition the dancers will have the opportunity to learn and perform a short piece of repertoire at the end of the audition.
What the audition will involve:
- 5-minute Moving Minds workshop focusing on handling nerves and being the best you can be!
- 60-minute ballet class with a professional teacher.
- 25-minute repertoire class enabling dancers to show their performance skills and pick up skills.
NYB believes that by nurturing the widest possible talent pipeline we will build a space where young people can create the ballet of the future. If you are passionate about ballet and want to be part of our community, we’d love to meet you.
How to apply
Click on the following audition dates to register (the registration deadline is the Monday before each audition date):
When registering you will be asked to select your preferred audition time, applicable to the applicants age.
Final auditions: will be held in London and take place on Sunday 2nd and Sunday 16th April.
Non-refundable audition registration fee: £30
Course fee: £680
Any questions? Please read our Frequently Asked Questions
NYB aims to support a diverse range of applications by removing financial barriers; bursaries are available for applicants from low socio-economic backgrounds that meet our eligibility criteria.
The deadline for bursary applications is 5pm on Friday, 31st March 2023
Successful applicants will be notified as soon as the audition outcomes are communicated.
For more information click here.
We can’t wait to meet you!