NYB’s 2020 Choreographic Challenge invites young dancers to explore how it feels to re-engage with the world around them as we emerge from lockdown.
Dancers are challenged to create a one and a half minute piece of choreography inspired by the theme of re-emergence.
They will select one of four specially commissioned pieces of music by young composer Nicola Chang and respond creatively.
Weekly interactive zoom workshops will support and develop participants skills in all areas of the creative process.
Entries should be filmed on a mobile device and submitted by 6pm on the 9th October.
Notable judges, Sir Matthew Bourne and Etta Murfitt, will present awards in each age category.
Winning entries will be showcased on NYB’s website and social media channels.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Strong choreographic content rather than the quality of the filming or edit.
- A clear response to the theme of re-emergence.
- Individuality and a clear artistic personality.
- A piece that reflects the theme of re-emergence through use of space, costume and lighting.
- Musicality and creative response to the music.
- Create a solo on yourself or another dancer (if you are working with another dancer be sure to stick with the social distancing guidelines in your local area).
- Select just one track from Nicola’s selection – it can’t be edited.
- Maximum length of piece is 1 minute.
- Choreography should be filmed on a mobile device.
- Submit your work by 6pm 9 October 2020 (details will be sent to you on how to submit your piece once you have registered for the Choreographic Challenge)
The cost to register for the choreographic challenge is £25. Registration will include the cost of the four interactive, online sessions each designed to illuminate different aspects of the choreographic process. Participants will be given access to recordings of each session, so don’t worry if you can’t attend the online sessions live.
REGISTER FOR THE CHOREOGRAPHIC CHALLENGE
Please read our safeguarding policy and the terms and conditions before registering. Complete your registration by clicking on your age group
Please get in touch with NYB, if you would like to attend or compete but have financial difficulties.
Prizes will be awarded in the following age categories;
- 8-11 year olds
- 12-15 yr olds
The winner in each age category will receive;
- a one hour feedback and mentoring session with Etta Murfitt.
- Their full choreography will be featured on the NYB website and social media channels
- NYB Merchandise
A runner-up will also be selected in each age category and receive NYB merchandise.
A Musicality Prize will also be awarded and the winner will receive a £20 i-tunes voucher plus NYB merchandise.
Listen and choose which track by Nicola Chang you’d like to use for your choreography.
ONLINE INTERACTIVE WORKSHOP TIMETABLE
Images (c) Sean Purser and Mikah Smillie